Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maine beach hunting

Posted by John D 
Maine beach hunting
September 18, 2011 06:17PM
Hi Everyone, I need to ask those who know - is it legal to swing on the beaches of southern Maine (Wells Beach and the surrounding area) . I'm heading there next week and I was hoping to spend some time getting my detector sandy. Unfortunately I just was in a website that stated the laws in Maine are as bad as Massachusetts with the possibility of your machines getting confiscated and fines, that my friends would be awful. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks and happy hunting.

John D
Re: Maine beach hunting
September 20, 2011 11:28AM
It is always best to know the laws and to get permission to search land not your own.
Streeter
Honorary Member
September 20, 2011 02:01PM
Google Metal Detect maine. There are a few different resources that came up.

Try sending an email to the state parks department, or state parks department

There is a maine metal detecting forum also. (http://www.metaldetectingmaine.com/)
I AM NOT A MEMBER, so I CAN'T back its content or its owners or users.

Good luck and happy hunting..
VIP Member
September 20, 2011 05:13PM
I have detected some of the public beaches of southern Maine and have never had a problem. Have seen other people detecting also. Private land is just that and you would and should ask permission. Make sure it's not a registered historical area. That might be a problem.
September 21, 2011 06:42AM
Dave G, thanks - I don't have the time to hunt down private land owners that's why I'm sticking to public beaches and maybe public parks - if I do any parks I'll check with the local PD. Thanks

Keith320, I should have thought of that one myself - the Maine forum seems to be just what I needed. Now I'll just need help loading all the "pirate booty" into my truck. Thanks

Rickf68, Public beaches are what I'm after I just wasn't sure if they fell under the "federal Gateway system" or even if Maine is involved with that. Thanks

John D
Lifetime Member
September 21, 2011 07:20AM
Public beaches are not public for metal detecting and if you are the wrong beach they can take your detector and fine you big. So you had better ask permission at every beach you want to detect.
DG
VIP Member
September 21, 2011 05:28PM
I stand corrected. Thanks George
September 22, 2011 03:50PM
Sea Hunter, do you think asking the local police dept. is sufficient?
September 23, 2011 11:19AM
Hi All, FYI for any that might care according to the Director of Parks and Recreation for Ogunquit - beach swing is legal, the Wells PD and the York PD say the same so if your in the area have at it.

John D
VIP Member
September 23, 2011 03:08PM
Alway have and never had a problem. Happy hunting and best of luck!
October 01, 2011 03:55PM
Got out on 9/28 for a few hours - Ogunquit Beach mile markers 10 to 11 - beautiful day. Being a newbie at this I kept the discrimination settings low and dug on everything. Being the end of the tourist season there weren't a lot of people to zigzag around. Had a great time and learned about foil , bottle caps, pulltabs, bobbypins, nails, screws, an stud earring which I still checking out and at one point getting a large reading which I assumed was a treasure chest of some kind ended up being a buried fence post (:>(. Any - had a lot of fun and learned how important my Propointer is.

Anonymous User
October 01, 2011 04:34PM
Just means that the next time you will score!
Special Member
November 02, 2011 12:48PM
I've detected on Wells Beach and Ogunquit for many years and have had no problems. There are always others out there detecting as well. Good Luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

North East Metal Detecting Forum - Forum Statistics

Global
Topics: 5,413, Posts: 30,402, Users: 920.
Our newest member Jimick.

This forum
Topics: 2,096, Posts: 10,737.